Many of my clients have contacted me today feeling very upset by the election result asking me what can they do to feel less anxious about the situation?
When things happen in the world that shake our sense of safety our levels of adrenaline skyrockets leaving us stressed and feeling out of control.
Here are 7 ways to start feeling better.
1. The first thing to do is breath. Basically, deep breathing and adrenaline can’t co-exist in the same body as it triggers the release of a neurotransmitter (acetylcholine) that calms you down and most importantly, stops your thoughts from racing so you can think straight. Read more here Need A Simple Way To Keep Calm?
2. Next, think about what you can and cannot control and move your focus to make changes to things you do have control over. You can influence your children to have good morals and to treat women or people who are different from themselves well. You can go through life following your own inner compass about how to treat people.
3. Stress often makes us focus on the negative and ignore the positives in our lives. Widen the lens you are looking through. You may be disappointed at the moment but there are still many really good things in the world and your life. Your life is more than this one moment.
4. Do a random act of kindness to make yourself and someone else feel better.
5. Hug the ones you love. A good hug is the fastest way for you to get oxytocin flowing in your body. This “love drug” calms your nervous system and boosts positive emotions.
6. Spend time with people who share your same value system. Vent about your feelings with like-minded people and buffer yourself by knowing that there are other people who are feeling the same way you do.
7. Most importantly, be kind to yourself and give yourself the time to process your feelings and do whatever makes you happy in this moment and to others so they know that there are people out there who care.
The information about how to stay calm through breathing is summarized in a tear-out sheet in my free booklet Simple Steps To Overcome Anxiety & Worrying. There is also a lot of other helpful information that highlights areas of your life where you can make small changes, which added together result in big changes in your mood.
I put together a booklet with some strategies I am always giving to my clients to help them begin to feel less anxiety and to worry less.
I hope that you will find it helpful too.
Add your first name and email address in the box below and you will be sent the steps to download your FREE book.
I see clients in my Northbrook office or for your convenience, via telephone or internet sessions
If you have any questions about how to reduce anxiety
please phone me at 847 791-7722 or
email me below