If you have had a difficult day take some time to stop and relax. When we “go, go, go” then head straight to bed, our thoughts aren’t ready to stop and keeping our thoughts racing. Here are some good ways to slow down so your mind doesn’t keep you awake.
- Have a warm bath (not hot) as this will help your body reach a temperature that’s ideal for rest.
- Writing “to do” lists for the next day can organize your thoughts and clear your mind of any worrying thoughts that pop in to your head (more about that later…)
- Relaxation exercises, such as light yoga stretches, help to relax the muscles. Don’t exercise vigorously though, as it will have the opposite effect.
- Relaxation CDs can help as they use a hypnotic voice to guide you through muscle relaxation and soothing music and sound effects to relax your brain.
- Watching TV or any computer or phone screen keeps the brain engaged and active so it is harder to fall asleep. It is better to read a book or listen to the radio as that relaxes the mind by distracting it from the present worries.
More ways to feel less stressed can be found in Simple Steps To Improve Your Mood which is free to download from www.drsarahallen.com